I bought the GuruPlug Server Standard: Marvell Kirkwood 6281A1 (ARMv5TE, 1.2 GHz), 512MB Ram, 512MB Flash, 1GigEthernet port, 2 USB ports, 802.11b/g Wifi and Bluetooth, running U-Boot and DebianArm. The WiFi+BlueTooth chip is an AW-GH381, while the USB controller is a GL850G.
Some issues/further steps so far:
- The GuruPlug acts as a DHCP server (udhcpd) on the WiFi, and has IP forwarding setup (through dnsmasq) so if you connect to it over WiFi, you can still access the network on the ethernet side. However, I connected the GuruPlug to my router, which gave it an address in the 192.168.1.* subnet; at the same time, this is the subnet that the GuruPlug uses on the WiFi side. Therefore, 192.168.1.1 was both the IP of my router and the IP of the GuruPlug. This confused it and it couldn’t resolve addresses and access the internet. I changed the subnet of my router, and now everything works fine.
- I removed a lot of the installed stuff that I don’t need: plogger, flowplayer, lighttpd, fam, samba, bluetooth. Then I installed stuff I actually do need, like apache, cups and transmission-daemon.
- I have added my own user account, and plan to disable the root account.
- I added the Debian Testing repository and run the full upgrade, in order to have some more recent package versions. This takes a long while and updates some key architectural features of the system.